Sunday, July 15, 2007

Meet the Campbels. Our daughter.

my beautiful daughterIt isn't easy raising children these days. My eldest daughter is studying her HSC this year, and is doing remarkably well if I do say so myself. I've already promised not to state any of the family names in this blog but all the same she was terribly unsure about me including a photo of her with this post, she agreed in the end as long as I promised not to implicitly identify it as her.

That said, the accompanying photograph may, or may not be of my daughter. And may or may not have been taken during our family trip to Switzerland for last years skiing season.

I sometimes think happy times like those are fleeting. When she was born it seemed like she would be my little girl for ever but now, on the cusp of university and womanhood I have come to cherish the times we remain as a family unit, under one roof.

Luckily we have been spared the problems so many have had to endure with their teenage daughters, but in fairness most of that is down to her good commonsense and Christian values. Of course I like to imagine that the wife and I played no small part in raising her to have the high self esteem and moral values that, the lack of which presumably play a part in teenage pregnancy, drugs and student politics.

As I write this post she is out with her friends from church after a busy morning of fellowship. One of the most uplifting things is to watch your daughter grow into a beautiful woman and we have all been blessed in that respect. Fortunately Miss Campbel has chosen to wait until she finishes university before she enters into a serious relationship with a boy, though I have noticed she spends quite a bit of time with a certain young lad from church.

Totally inappropriate as a potential husband, his father is in the building industry, but the wife says it's healthy for a young woman to experience innocent flirting. If it were up to me I would have a strong word with the youngster, he's not a bad kid, but obviously completely delusional if he thinks he stands a hope with my daughter. Of course, the wife says, she is mature enough to handle him effectively.

She enjoys horse riding, and is still a member of the local pony club, though she doesn't have much time for that these days. A very smart girl, I hope her siblings have half as much academic success. When she finishes university we expect her to find a husband with ease, she is a very attractive young lady after all, and settle down to raise a family.

Just yesterday she put her arms around me and said, "daddy, I'm so happy you are getting into the computer thing finally". "Why's that dear", I asked and she giggled, "so I will be able to email you when I'm in London next year".

Of course, she knows that we aren't all in the family entirely over the moon, so to speak, with her plan to spend a year in Europe on her own. It's hard enough to imagine her leaving home for university, especially since she wants to attend Melbourne Uni. But the wife and I prayed about it and decided that if she really wants to go then we might be able to accommodate her grand plans. She is such a mature young lady, it's heartbreaking yet makes me so proud at the same time to think she is becoming such a responsible and independent adult.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is very beautiful but there was a lot of stuff in this post that really goes against the grain with me. I don’t even know where to start, the teenage pregnancy assumptions perhaps.

Xavier said...

Thanks Anon. That's just my opinion of course, I haven't actually ever met any teenage mothers. I'm sure they are often very sweet girls who simply made a mistake, but at the same time you have to wonder what factors in their upbringing contribute to them making that mistake.

I don't bear any animosity toward pregnant teenage girls per-se. I do suspect their parents have to hold some of the blame and obviously there is a father out there somewhere.

In the case of underage girls it seems obvious to me that pregnancy is the evidence of abuse or rape and the police should be called in.

Anonymous said...

"the lack of which presumably play a part in teenage pregnancy, drugs and student politics."

I assumed that was a joke. C'mon, adding "student politics" to the list - that's just gold.

"If it were up to me I would have a strong word with the youngster, he's not a bad kid, but obviously completely delusional if he thinks he stands a hope with my daughter."

Holy crap. People like you still exist? This is relic-from-the-1950s stuff.

Xavier said...

Hi Anon, and thanks for your comment. You aren't the first person to suggest that my moral values are rooted in the past since I've started this blog. The issue has never been raised before and I can't help but think that I'm coming into contact with a type of person I wouldn't usually through the blog.

Which is great!

You know, I really think you would be surprised how many people think the way I do. None of my friends, for example would disagree with me and I believe my feelings would find acceptance amongst many, if not most of the nations powerbrokers and leaders.

I'm not passing a personal judgement on the young man in question, simply put I am stating how I feel on the matter while, if you read carefully, accepting that the tide is against me.

I may not like that, but like any father I know I have to come to terms with the fact that my little girl is maturing into a woman and that one day I will lose her to another man.

Just not this one.