Saturday, July 28, 2007

It's just a theory, who cares?

A friend at church loaned me a great book last week. Percival Davis', 'Of Pandas and People'. Now I'm not one to get too carried away with this whole debate over creationism and evolution, as far as my children go I've always been perfectly happy for them to learn evolution in school, even though I have my doubts about the theory, because I know that in order to succeed in life it is necessary to fit in.

School is about learning information in keeping with the majority viewpoint so that you can network effectively with your peers as an adult. If the great majority of educated people believed in creationism then I would be mortally disappointed to think my children were being taught a useless bundle of evolutionary information at school.

They can learn the information and facts at school but obviously they learn the truth at church.

The Bible is quite clear about how creation went along and I think that all these Americans carrying on about it being taught properly in schools are just lacking faith. The truth is obvious to most of us, the majority of Americans already believe in it and I think most Australians probably do as well. We don't need to have an education department confirm our beliefs because it's patently obvious that we are right.

All I want our schools to do is teach my children how to be successful and provide them with a piece of paper at the end saying how smart they are.

In fact, until I read this interesting book, I didn't even think the argument needed testing. Nonetheless, if you are feeling a little confronted by all the evolution propaganda out there I recommend this book thoroughly. Or, if you haven't made your mind up yet, make sure you read this, and the Bible to get a fair and unbiased foundation in the debate.

Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins